Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sam Loves.....my Dymo Letratag Plus Label Maker....a Top Teaching Tool

Dymo Letratag Label Maker
I've been using this as part of my teaching toolkit ever since I began teaching, over 10 years ago.  Whilst the first half day is usually spent settling onto the boat followed by a safety briefing, I bring out my Dymo at the beginning of the second session and hand it to one of the quieter crew members.

As part of my prep for this week's class I've already peeled off the carefully prepared labels from last week's team and the task now is for the new group to trace all of the lines (ropes) on deck and make new labels for the rope clutches, and anything else that students think might come in useful.  This is a great exercise for the following reasons:
  • the group usually need to combine their knowledge to get all the answers right, so it starts to foster the need to work as a team.


    • it helps all those on board to become a little more familiar with the boat.
    • beginner sailors are helped by those with a little more experience who can explain (with support from the instructor as necessary) the function of each line.
    • beginners and rusty sailors alike are reminded of the name of each line.
    • the instructor can start to assess the level of knowledge aboard and individual dynamics by watching group interactions.
    • It's usually a fun exercise!
    I normally set a deadline for completion e.g. "start after breakfast and be ready to leave the anchorage or berth by 9.30am."  After a short debrief we usually get away around 10!

    If you don't have a Dymo, you could also use stationery labels and a pen but these aren't the best idea in a watery environment.  In the Caribbean sun the Dymo labels do tend to scorch a little and sometimes peel off by the end of the week!  However by this time most students are comfortable with identifying the ropes and clutches.

    Buy your Dymo Letratag Plus now from Amazon in the US,or

    Buy your Dymo Letratag Plus now from Amazon in the UK.

    Got a favourite teaching tool or game?  I'd love to hear about it; the best ones will be featured in future newsletters and I'd be please to credit your school with the information you provide.  Leave your tips below,  or send me an email, thanks.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment